Smile Everyday+ is available to all permanent employees that have been working for Bupa for at least three months. Smile Everyday+ is only available to you as an individual employee, and family members can't be added onto this. However, they can freely access support from our Anytime HealthLine and Healthy Minds services under Smile Everyday, which all permanent employees have access to from day one.
If you work in a front line role in a care home (nurses, care home assistants, kitchen, house and laundry staff etc.), this is your benefit option and you'll be joined automatically after three months. You don't need to pay anything to get this benefit.
For all of our other employees, you'll need to opt in for Smile Everyday+ by completing the form in your offer pack, or by joining during the annual renewal window. You'll also need to pay a small benefit in kind tax. Take a look at our FAQs to find out more.
Healthy Minds+ - In addition to everything offered through Healthy Minds, you, as the main member, can also benefit from outpatient consultations, therapy, diagnostic tests (up to £1000 per year) and one MRI/CT scan per year. Download the Smile Everyday+ documents below for more information.
Muscle, Joint & Bone Support - You can speak to a physiotherapist quickly with direct access to our telephone physiotherapy triage line and, if clinically appropriate, can also be referred for face-to-face treatment.
Bupa Health Trust
You can choose to opt into the Bupa Health Trust after three months at Bupa, and will receive all the information you need when you start and again during the annual renewal window. For private health cover through the Bupa Health Trust, there will be other costs (please download the documents below for more information). By choosing this option, you'll get:
- Cover for tests, diagnosis, eligible treatment and aftercare as an outpatient or in hospital
- Bupa Mental Health Advantage
- Our Cancer Direct Access service
- Access to proven eligible drugs and treatments
- Fast help with muscle, bone and joint problems. You can speak to a physiotherapist quickly with direct access to our telephone physiotherapy triage line and, if clinically appropriate, will also be referred for face-to-face physiotherapy. You can also be referred for treatment via your own GP.
- Quick telephone access to specialists and fast advice on symptoms
- Access to a choice of recognised consultants
- Overseas emergency treatment
We're also delighted to offer some really important additional benefits this year. They are:
- the removal of medical underwriting for all Bupa employees*, meaning all pre-existing conditions are covered, for you and any dependents on your policy
- cover for gender dysphoria
- access to Babylon Virtual GP
Remember to read your policy documents carefully, so that you're clear about your cover- alongside any limits, excesses, exclusions, or underwriting restrictions.
There are two options for the private health cover for 2019/20:
- Bupa Health Trust Standard, with a £250 co-pay (per year, per life covered).
- Bupa Health Trust Upgrade, with an additional monthly contribution but no co-pay. (Contribution depends on the number of lives covered).
Permanent employees who have been with us for three months. However, there are a few exceptions to this:
- If you're in a role 6.2 or above, you can apply from day one.
- For Care Services, eligibility to join the Bupa Health Trust applies only to those in central operational roles. These include: customer advisors, quality/service improvement roles, regional secretaries, home managers, and regional and managing directors.
Partners living at the same address and children up to the age of 24 can also be members (additional costs apply).
If you're eligible, and would like to join or leave the Bupa Health Trust, you can do this by completing and returning the form in your offer pack by making your selection during the annual review window. You'll need to pay the benefit in kind tax and, if appropriate, any contribution costs for the cover you have chosen.
Please download the FAQs document below to help you decide what cover is right for you and see the Bupa Health Trust annual renewal window section below for more information on joining, leaving, and making changes to your cover.
Annual renewal window
We have one annual renewal window for joining and leaving the Bupa Health Trust. If you're a new starter, you're eligible to join outside of this window after completing three months service (or in line with your contract, if different). The window usually opens late May/early June for 2-3 weeks.
Changes to your cover
Changes outside of the annual renewal window can only be accepted in the event of major life events, such as:
- Birth of a child (when added within three months from the date of birth)
- Marriage (when added within three months from the date of the wedding)
- Partner now living at the same address (when added within three months of them moving in)
- Death of a dependant
- Separation or divorce from a partner (when removed within three months of the separation/divorce)
- Leaving Bupa
Please download the FAQs document below for more information on life event rules.